Monday, June 11, 2012

I get it - I'm not an actress

This is a theatre-related post. And before I go further, I clearly admit that I am not an actress. Although it is safe to say I have 'acted' my way out of certain situations. But I have never audition for a part, got the part, memorize lines and then perform said lines.

When I was younger, I did audition for a children's play but I got such stage fright, I couldn't remember any of the lines. To this day, I still have trouble getting in front of a large crowd and speaking. I did have to memorize a monologue in high school. But on the day I was suppose to deliver my monologue, I faked a panic attack. Or my idea of what a panic attack was like, thanks to my dad's medical dictionary. (It would be another 5 years before I would have a real panic attack). My so-called panic attack was so convincing, I was excused from such exercises. I have taken one acting class in college and it was called "Acting Techniques for Directors". Which really wasn't an acting class. It was more of a class to learn how to handle actors from director's side of things. I don't remember much of this class other than this is where I met my adorable husband.

So, as you can see, I am not an actress. I don't pretend to know what an actor goes through in preparing for a role. I've been around enough actors to make an educational guess. I've seen some actors completely immerse themselves into the role and then I've seen actors who have somehow 'winged it' through the process. I have always assumed that each actor has their own methods. Which is fine by me. I actually like to see how actors become their characters. It's quite amazing to watch when the actors 'get it'. It is the "light bulb goes on" moments. I can always see it when it happens. It usually happens several times to each actor during the rehearsal process. And every now and then, I see it on stage during a performance. It's rare - like watching lighting from a distance. You don't hear anything but you see it and then it's gone.

I've been stage managing a play where there is a hostage situation in Act 2. One of the characters, Vince, is on the phone for 2 1/2 pages with the cops trying to explain the demands. So, we (the audience) only hear half the conversation. Meanwhile, the captor is talking to Vince and there's another conversation going on at the other side of the stage.

The guy playing Vince seems like he has a brain but he is having trouble with his lines. In the last two rehearsals, he has asked the director with help on his lines. The director keeps saying "think of the stakes" and "focus on your lines, not the other lines in the scene". Not extremely helpful but Vince keeps trying. And he keeps struggling. So during our break on Sunday, I approached Vince and propose that we should run the lines as an actual conversation over the phone. In the last couple of plays I have managed, there has been one-sided phone conversations and I've noticed that it is extremely helpful to the actor if the director acts as if he is on the other line, baiting the actor's next lines. All the information I need to know is in the lines. It can't be that hard.

At first, Vince doesn't get what I'm saying. Ok, so maybe this guy only has half of a brain. That's ok - we can work with that. So I tell him that I would act as the negotiator on the other end of his conversation and we will run just Vince's lines. Now, I'm kind of excited to try this. I already know what I'm going to say that will make sense for his lines. And if we ignore all the other lines, I think that will help him find clarity in the lines. Thinking he would agree to this idea, he says "Thank you but no offense, you're not an actor. You can't understand what's being said between the lines. Or understand what my character is going through".

Are you fucking kidding me? I can't possibly know what's going on in these two pages? Between all the movies, tv shows and theatre I have seen involving a hostage situation, I can't understand what's being said?! Not to mention it doesn't take a degree in microbiology to figure out what's been said if you are saying "Yes, sir, he has a gun and he's waving it around".

I get that actors are overwhelmed in rehearsal especially if they are not off book. And most of them don't want help unless it's from the director. But I always have to wonder at what point does logic take a backseat that you can't think clearly. If you are having trouble and you can't get the help from the source you are seeking it from, wouldn't it be better to try something else than doing nothing? It's early in the process so if this little exercise doesn't work, it wouldn't do damage to the character development. As an actor, are you really that worried at taking a risk? I've always thought actors should take risks and be encourage to do so. Some of the greatest moments have been discovered in taking risk. And let's be real, we're not doing anything that risky. I'm trying to use common sense to solve his dilemma.

Ok, so maybe I am taking it a bit personal but it's not like I don't have a clue on how theatre works. Yes, I haven't directed a thing since college. But really? This is so simple! I know common sense is rare in LA but really??? Sigh....You know what? Fine - struggle with your lines. Pull your hair out & get mad at the director, the writer and/or at yourself for not getting it. No one watches the girl in the booth smirking at your lines.

2 comments:

  1. He is an idiot. But then, lots of actors are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he's stupid. Arrogant and ignorant. Worst kind of actor out there, ever. Stupid douche.

    ReplyDelete