Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rebirth! Well...sort of....

A couple of years ago, when everyone I knew had a blog, I started a blog about living in LA. It went well for several months and it kept me busy at a job that was boring. That was over 5 years ago. I can't even remember the actual name of the blog other than it had to do with "swimming" and "Los Angeles". I stopped blogging because I quit my depressing job at MGM and took a very complex position at a small film company. Now, it seems like the circle of life has completed another loop. I've got a great job at Fox Cable Networks - pays more, the perks are really great and I love being on the lot. The downside, if it's even considered a downside, is that I have very little work to do. Hmmm....you can only watch so much Instant Netflix, check email, harvest crops on Farmville, before you start counting down the minutes to 6pm. What to do, what to do.... (taps fingers on the desk as I look around).

As bad as my English, spelling and grammar skills are, I've always enjoyed writing. I went through a phase of writing short stories. Follow by a phase of writing poems, then followed by a phase of writing treatments for movies I would one day direct. I believe 3 poems were published before I graduated from high school. I kept a journal from 6th grade all the way into my late 20's. My high school journals are the thickest journals. I never missed a day to write about the painful days of being a social misfit in a very closed-minded Catholic school. Despite the ups & downs, writing has always been a comfort to me. Into my 30s, I rarely found time to write. Until now...

Another reason why I decided to blog again is that I'm getting out there again. I'm giving LA another chance. For a long time, I wasn't doing much. It was the same things over and over. Work, tennis, theatre, photography, rinse and repeat. I stopped going out & meeting people because I was homesick for Chicago, my home. (Yes, yes, I was born in Michigan, lived there for 17 years and so on. But I've always felt that home is where the heart is and my heart is always in Chicago. Chicago has always felt like home. I miss it more than any other place I've lived in). Plus, I was disappointed by what I had seen in LA so far.

Maybe it's the Kings winning their first round of playoffs in the NHL. Maybe it's the fact that I joined several Meetup Groups. Or maybe it's the fact that come May, I have lived in Los Angeles for 9 years - longer than I lived in Chicago. Whatever the reason, I feel a strange renewed vibe about LA. I find myself going out, trying new venues & events, meeting new people, (which is hard for me since I don't like 90% of the population), and not feeling so disgusted with LA.

Then again, this feeling and blog could be short lived. We'll see what I find.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you're finding a renewed interest in L.A. Its so hard not liking where you live.

    Its funny how you felt you weren't putting yourself out there because I always admired how go-getter you were and always finding fun and interesting things to do in the city.

    Can't wait to visit LA and see some great new things that you've discovered!

    ReplyDelete